In the 9 really useful free VST instruments in 2013 series we will present a collection of essential free VST instrument plugins, the selection being mainly based on usability and performance.
Today, first three plugins: Uniwave V2 by Novaflash, Tyrell Nexus 6 by u-he and Charlatan by BlauKraut Engineering.
Uniwave is based on a substractive architecture with some FM capababilities, a few unusual controls permiting to tweak and bend your own sound.
- Real Stereo sub / fm synthetizer
- 8 voices polyphony
- 1x VA custom VCO
- 1x Sub. VCO (RING, FM, PD)
- Unison mode, up to 7 stacked waves
- VCF1 : 12 / 24 dB LPF
- VCF2 : 12 / 24 dB HPF / LPF
- 2x LFO
- 3x Envelopes
- Flexible modulation through a large dual matrix :
- Poly and Mono signal splitted.
- Stereo poly signals.
- 2x Polypnonic Arpeggiator
- Modulated delay FX
Tyrell Nexus 6 is a virtual analog software synthesizer programmed by Urs Heckmann (u-he) for Amazona.de readers. The sound engine is circuit-modeled and is similar to the u-he’s ACE.
- 2 Oscillators
- 1 Sub-Oscillator
- 1 Noise Generator
- 1 Ring modulator
- 1 Signal feedback
- 2 LFOs
- 2 ADSR envelopes
- 1 Modulation Matrix
Charlatan is a polyphonic, subtractive virtual analog (VA) synthesizer plugin with a feature set just flexible enough to cover a wide range of sounds while deliberately abstaining from countless parameters and modulation options cluttering the user interface and distracting from the creative process.
- 2 oscillators with triangle, sawtooth, rectangle
- oscillator pulse-width modulation (PWM) and slew rate modulation (morphing between triangle and sawtooth)
- oscillator hard synchronization and ring modulation
- noise source with low/highpass filter
- 2 ADSR envelope generators
- LFO with host tempo synchronization
- 3 filter types modeled after classic analog hardware: 4-pole (24 db/oct) and 2-pole (12 db/oct) lowpass, bandpass
- filter code based on nonlinear zero-delay feedback technique for accurate emulation of analog counterparts
- 3 voice modes: Monophonic with retriggering, Monophonic Legato and 8-voice Polyphonic
- low CPU usage
- 100% coded in C++
- native 64-bit support