BlauKraut has released an updated version fo Charlatan, an already famous freeware VSTi synth plugin for Windows OS.
In parallel to these maintenance updates, I’ve been working on a complete rewrite of the synth engine using hand-optimized SSE code. Especially with polyphonic patches, this reduces CPU usage by more than 60% ! I’d say the rewrite is ~80% completed and I don’t expect serious issues for the remaining 20%. However, due to the nature of such large scale code rewrite, this needs extensive testing to avoid regressions.
Charlatan v1.1.4 features:
- Revision of the 4-pole ladder filter implementation. Placement of nonlinearities as in the original circuit.
- New switch 2OCT for Osc2: double detune range (+/-2 octaves).
- 90 degree phase shift of Osc2 square wave relative to Osc1 (only when sync is inactive). Emulates behavior of sub-oscs of Roland synths.
- If Osc1 is set to noise, the ring mod input from Osc1 is now the rectangle signal rather than noise.
- Reduced max. filter key tracking from 200% to 100%..
- LFO delay parameter was completely hosed (10x the displayed value!) Fixed.
- Handle LFO delay time on samplerate change. Fixed.
- Doubled max. LFO delay time (10s -> 20s). Fixed.
- Additional Minor tweaks and fixes.