For the last six months I’ve been working on the impossible and making a “usable” Hammond B3 sample set for Oasis keyboard guy Mickey Rowe. It’s been a long and tortuous process with quite a few false starts, but thanks to the fact that a cranked B3 through a decent Leslie in a good sounding room is truly a joy to behold even for an organ heathen like myself, its been a huge amount of fun.
The full fruits of our labour will be along soon, but in the meantime I thought I’d share one of the offshoots of the project.
HamMR Bass & Chords is made up of the bottom octave of Mikeys favourite drawbar configuration recorded as 5 x 15 second round robin samples from two mic positions, plus a selection of major and minor chords mapped across the appropriate keys.
- The bottom octave of a 1958 Hammond B3 played at full tilt through an overloaded full speed Leslie cabinet.
- 5 x 15 second round robin samples per note from two mic positions.
- One octave of major chords mapped per note
- One octave of minor chords mapped per note
- Adjustable volume, ADSR, pan and vibrato controls per articulation.
- Overall EQ.
- Leslie simulator and reverb on chord articulations.
- A hidden extra…. watch the video for details
HamMR Bass & Chords free Kontakt instrument is weighing around 400MB and is a preview for the commercial release scheduled for this month. This instrument works in full Kontakt 4 and 5 and is totally free.