Image-Line has announced the launch of FL Studio 12.5, the last major update of FL Studio 12, with important changes and fixes. With this release, is cleared than ever that FL Studio 13 is on the way to a beautiful and matured music production environment.
The good guys at Image-Line invite any user to get involved and shape the future of FL Studio 13. Drop into Looptalk and let them know what you want to see.
Let’s see what’s new in the current 12.5 update:
- Picker Panel (Alt+P) – A Pattern, Audio and Automation Clip manager/browser that lists all Pattern, Audio and Automation Clips in the project. Useful features include: Select unused Clips. Select Clips in Playlist. Rename/Color multiple clips. Render Pattern Clips to Audio Clips (Right-Click Clips > Render as audio clip.
- Virtual MIDI Controllers – Resizable, customizable vectorial Keyboard and Drumpads. Play the selected Channel, just like an external MIDI controller.
- Automation Clips – New (Right-click) control points ‘Type in value…’ feature.
- FPC – Resizable vectorial UI. Pads can now have custom colors and icons. New layout options (single/double pads). Per-pad automatable pitch.
- Fruity Delay 3 – ‘Analog’ style delay plugin with BPM varying tempo-synced delay. It includes filtering and distortion options.
- FL Studio Mobile – Loads .dwp files (monolithic DirectWave presets). FL Studio will open .flm projects in FL Studio Mobile. Drag and drop compatible formats on the plugin (.flm, .dwp, .wav etc)
- Harmor – Vectorial UI.
- Fruity Balance – New vectorial UI & converted native plugin.
- Patcher – Threaded processing of hosted plugins/modules. ‘More…’ option in plugin insertion menus. (Right-click) node and select ‘Insert plugin…’ to connect a plugin to a node. Load
DirectWave when .dwp file is dropped. (Middle-click) plugin title bar to rename.(Middle-click) connection filter checkboxes to disable the two others. ‘Tree display’ option in Control Surface tab Preset Menu. (Left-Click) to switch filter groups On/Off. (Middle-Mouse Click) to Solo/Unsolo a filter group.
- Edison – Shows the length of selections (top-right in the Editor window).
- Layer Channel – ‘Reset children’ option, resets the range and root notes for all Child Channels of a layer.
- DirectWave – Resizable vectorial UI. New filters (MiniSynth & Vox) plus High-Quality Rendering (Option) to enable near audio-rate modulation of all DirectWave parameters.
- Channel Sampling Robot – (Right-click) any Channel and select ‘Create DirectWave instrument’ to turn any Channel, Patcher or Layer into a DirectWave bank/patch.
- Transistor Bass – New ‘303 pulse’ (square waveform) switch and ‘Gate Length’ control.
- Control Creator – Updated and now accessible from Patcher > Control Surface and the Tools menu.
- Control Surface – Controls can now be auto-aligned. Select two or more controls and Right-click > Align for options.
- Piano roll – ‘Menu > View > Mini piano roll preview’ shows an overview of notes in the scroll-bar. Highlight root key according to scale. New ‘Menu > View > Keyboard style > Dark’ keyboard mode. Use (Ctrl+Mouse-wheel) on Channel Selector to select empty Channels.
- Plugin preset panel – Native plugins now show preset name and selection on the top-right of the window.
- Playlist – ‘Menu > View > Mini playlist preview’ shows an overview of Clips in the scroll-bar.
- MIDI Out – New ‘Note’ Knob output mode. Automate sending note on and off. A note value of 0 = Note OFF.
- Route selected to free mixer track(s) (Ctrl+L) – Routes selected Channel/s, or plugins, to the first available Mixer Track/s.
- Tools > Macros – ‘Lock all playlist tracks to content’ and ‘Unlock all playlist tracks from content’. Aids for ‘block-track’ simulated workflow.
- VIEW > Close all plugin windows (Alt+F12) – Closes only plugin windows.
- Hide the plugin wrapper menu by default – See ‘General Settings > Miscellaneous > Hide plugin window toolbar by default’.
- TOOLS > Macros > Lock all playlist tracks to content and Unlock all playlist tracks from content. This is a helper for those wanting to replicate ‘block-track’ behaviour present in older versions of FL Studio.
- Additional changes & bugfixes.
FL Studio 12.5 is a free update for existing users. If you want to buy it, the prices start at $99 for the Fruity Edition. For Mac customers, if you own FL Studio, you can test the 12.5 features in the 0.9 Alpha installer here
Download FL Studio 12.5 demo at Image-Line website.